Sunday 29 September 2013

Banco De Gaia “All Sleeping” E.P. Review



Artist : Banco De Gaia


Title: All Sleeping


Label: Disco Gecko Recordings


Release Date: 21st September 2013




The original begins in a manner which reminds me of the field recording sound fx’s employed in Pink Floyds “Animals” and is soon joined by cinematic sounding synths and flutes reminding me why Toby Marks initially made such an impact when I first came across him on the Ambient Dub compliation’s of the early 90’s. I’d draw further comparison to Pink Floyd when the accompanying guitar enters the fold soon followed by a pleasant loop forming a cohesive ambient whole that as the title suggests sets a peaceful relaxing mood.

First up on the Re-Mix duties are California’s Desert Dwellers who immediately change the mood with a deep dubby bassline, glitchy wobbles and an Eastern undertone. The re-mix doesn’t really stand out as the same track. However, I have to say I like it. This is followed by Seb Taylor’s ambient project Hibernation which for me high-lights the cinematic sounds yet at the same time employs more bass with a tribal feel to the percussion in places. The final track is re-mixed by Mistrust which is a name I’ve only recently noticed has started to surface. This take is more dubby with sporadic beats where the original sounds at times seems to take a back seat only brought to the forefront in convenient places.

Overall, I’d say this is a well produced cinematic sounding piece of Eastern edged ambience that one has come to expect from the Banco De Gaia brand packaged with re-mixes where the artists have taken their time to think, rather than plugging for the obvious.

Reviewed by Woodzee



No comments: