Monday 25 February 2013

Various Artists - Turntables On Las Ramblas Review




Artist: Various


Title: Turntables On Las Ramblas


Label: Wonderwheel Recordings


Release Date: 19th March 2013




Admittedly this release is probably more dance floor orientated than either dub or chill but I really like the Wonderwheel releases so jumped at the chance of reviewing it anyway. Turntables on las Ramblas is the 1st of the Turntables on the Hudson "City to City, River to River" series connecting various DJ's, artists, musicians & party people city to city that will soon feature Turntables on the Nile, Turntables in Lima, Turntables on the Caribbean & more…

Basing this release on the thriving scene in Barcelona it’s only natural to expect a heavy Latin influence on the album and it’s doesn’t fail to comply starting with Sabo’s Moombahton edit of Carlos Barbosa & Blasterjack’s “Toca Flute” which as the title implies is a fusion of heavy percussion and soothing flute with rub-a-dub samples injected at suitable moments.

The housier Sujinho re-mix of Nickodemus’s “Los Tarontas” I’d already picked up on the preceding sampler e.p. I really like the original but this re-mix really tears me in two. There’s a delayed synth employed which I find too harsh and way overused, making the intro and outro very repetitive. However the tweaks, delays and extensions on the piece in between (especially on the strings) are top notch. So I’ll leave you to make up your own mind on this one.

Barcelona’s Oscar Barilla re-works Sid Vaga’s latest release “Manouche” which is a funky enough track with an 80’s feel to the bass line. Although, I have to confess to preferring his last release “Brazuca” which I used as the opener in my set for House of the Flying Eyeball’s “My Favourite Things” radio show on BoxFrequency FM.

I hope I haven’t put anyone off yet as I wouldn’t say I dislike this release. On the contrary it’s a rump shaker throughout which I can see myself playing from time to time at appropriate moments. Additionally this release has introduced me to some new artists where I’d be inclined to dig a little deeper.

One in particular that caught my ear was Novalima’s “Macaco” bursting with horns and vocals it’s seemed to me like the Bueno Vista Social Club with a modern edge, which finishes in an almost reggae vibe. While Captain Planet (whose previously re-mixed Alice Russell, Erykah Badu and Vieux Farka Toure) re-mixes Los Chicharrons “Mar Do Nar” where I’d hazard a guess the vocals are actually African rather than Spanish or Catalan. Toti & Andy Loop’s re-mix of “Barcelona” by Catalan band La Troba Kung-FĂș is also worth a mention as the piece retains a live band feel and has a real sunshine vibe about it.


Reviewed by Woodzee

No comments: