Wednesday 13 November 2019

100th Monkey 'Space Dubs and Other Miscellany - 1992 to 2017' Review



Artist: 100th Monkey



Title: Space Dubs and 

Other  Miscellany 

(1992-2017)



Label: Disco Gecko Recordings



Released: 15th November







 

This album release is nicely timed for anyone whose attendig the Coventry leg of Pitch Black's tour, as 100th Monkey is kicking off the proceedings alongside Dr. Trippy. I knew relatively little about this project other than the man behind the name is Andy Guthrie who was initially in Banco de Gaia alongside Toby Marks.



You have to take into consideration that some of these pieces go back to 1992 and you can tell. The first few tracks of the album is what would have been termed as ambient dub. On the one hand if I were to hear them on a compilation in the 90’s (which you may well have) I wouldn’t lift the needle to skip the track. On the other hand I wouldn’t look back at them as memorable classics.



The album does get interesting on the fourth track ‘Moonchild’ which I would say leans more to trip-hop with jazzy touches and a mellow female vocal from Angèle. My interest is held on the latter section of ‘Until the Dawn’ due to the angelic vocals of Neera. This is followed by the Icescape Secret Beats Remix of ‘The Inuit Snow Song’ a piece I’ve always had a soft spot for and this version really places the emphasis on the vocal and is super laid back.



The remainder of the album returns to instrumental pieces and lifts the pace a tad. However, aside from the last track ‘Marakch’ which I was drawn to it left a similar impression on me as the first few tracks.



Reviewed by Woodzee.

Links





No comments: