Monday 16 September 2019

Sundrugs 'Hidden Scenes' Review







Artist: Sundrugs



Title: Hidden Scenes



Label: Cosmicleaf



Released: 10th September










Sundrugs is the ambient/drone project of Warsaw based composer and producer Patryck Kawalarz. Following on from his recent release ‘Light Paints A Way’ on Cosmicleaf, this is actually a re-release of his debut album. Which was originally released on cassette and digital, through the French label BLWBCK back in 2013.


Now drone as a genre strikes me as though it charms a niche market. It’s very marmite in it’s love /hate appeal. It’s something that, personally I have to be in the right mood for and a genre I’ve only really dipped into. I’ll openly admit it’s also a genre I find difficult to review as album tracks can be strikingly similar.


So I find myself asking what stands out with Sundrugs compared to other drone artists that I’ve listened to. Now despite the darkness of the portrait cover and some of the track titles, it’s nowhere near as dark sounding as some of the other artists that I’ve come across. It doesn’t slowly build throughout to end with a crescendo finale, and nor does it build and drop in a series of crescendos. If you think of those other productions as a leaf in a storm which is tossed around in differing intensity. Then what Sundrugs offers is more akin to being carried on a constant breeze, with subtle changes in movement.


So if you’re still with us, then you’re probably a fan of this musical marmite known as drone and wondering is it any good? Personally, I found it listenable but not overwhelming. However, as someone who only dips into this genre I’m not a great judge, so my advice is to take a listen and find out for yourself.


Review by Woodzee


Links





No comments: