Sunday 9 June 2013

E.R.S. Digital Rituals E.P. Review



Artist: ERS

Title: Digital Rituals

Label: Dubmission Records

Release Date: 3rd June 2013



Well I must confess I knew nothing of E.R.S previously and I didn't get this on the first listen but given another chance, with the sun beaming down it proper works.

It starts with the title track 'Digital Rituals' with it’s dark brooding bass and sinister stomping hooves from the four horse men, accompanied by disjointed vocals, lost. Then dub skank comes in full effect with 'Get Ready To Fly' but in a playful cosmic way that reminds me of Shawn Lee. It then drops down into minimal peppered beats and warm swathes of synths that is 'And Here I Am' that has that Kick Bong feel to it ... A primer for part two part (one of the bonus tracks available on Bandcamp).

The main body of the E.P. continues with the twelve minute opus that is 'Evolution Of A Funky Mind' It's like a seventies car chase slowed right the hell down with lazy funk guitar. Pure dub without the bass! The final track 'Firedance' cranks up the tempo in a tribal style. All drum & percussion and voices round the fire. Then the switch! I won't give it away but it totally works and believe me you'll love it!  I'll leave the rest to you the listener.

Review by CKA John

http://dubmissionrecords.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/ers-digital-rituals-ep.html

No comments: