Wednesday 4 November 2020

Exclusive Eguana Interview

 



  1. Firstly thank you for taking the time out to talk to us. Could you till us a little about yourself and how you began your relationship with music.


Good time everyone! Thanks for the offer.

I am an ordinary person, like many others. Born in Russia, in the outback. From an early age there was a love for drawing. Around 1990, music appeared in my life in the form of a cassette recorder. And there was a lot of music, so I collected it. Probably at that moment, my long journey in the world of sounds began. To tell everyone about the whole journey, a separate interview would be needed for this (laughing).


  1. Your music productions often take the theme of Space. What influenced you in taking this approach to your compositions?


Thirst for the unknown. Space is a mystery. Even though we know about it, how far we can see it in powerful telescopes, we still don't know anything about it. Space is a frightening beauty, bewitching and bewitching. All people live under the same sky. All the people are with him, and whatever the space is, it is of interest to all.


I unite people through my music. Any person, with any religion, any views, will love space and my music about space. It is neutral for everyone. She lulling and I just like to create it. I feel too close to different worlds about which I can tell, including space.

I think someday people all over the planet will hate my music. This will happen if one-day space brings us sorrow (laughs). Before that happens, space is a peaceful, a silent giant looking down at us.



  1. Similarly another reoccurring theme is nature. How does your approach differ to creating these compositions?


That's right. Nature is what excites me just as much. If space is something mysterious and inaccessible, then we can see nature now, we know it very well. We interact with her every day. It is clear to us.


For the music of space I use specific sounds, more often electronic, but soft. Then for nature I use sounds that we hear more often. If space needs a smooth atmosphere, then for nature I often use atmospheric pads with rustling sounds, with sounds that more closely reflect nature. As a painter, I try to visualize sounds. Whether or not I can succeed is for the listener to decide.


  1. Could you tell us about your studio set up and your favourite pieces of equipment or software?


Sure. If anyone thinks that I have a large studio with expensive equipment, they will be very wrong. If we speak in such a way as a studio, then I do not have one. I have a workplace. The place where I create the alchemy of sounds. But, there is nothing unusual about it. There are no expensive devices. A standard set of necessary things to make music professionally. Sound monitoring, cheap but professional headphones, sound card, digital programs. Several musical instruments, including those made by myself.

You don't need to have the most expensive equipment to become a professional musician. First of all, you need to be a professional musician.

20 years ago I could write the music "stick on seashell" (laugh). And it worked out pretty well. Now imagine what I can do with sounds, with everything that I have now? This is a huge scope for creativity. Thanks to the 21st century of high technology. If they put me in the coolest studio, then it seems to me I would dissolve in it and become music myself (laughs).


  1. What advice would you give to those starting out in electronic music?


Of course I can. Musical life is ordered, and it will weed out the wheat from the chaff. And if you are not ready to become something more than just a person, then you cannot. Many break down and chuck it in half way. Man is used to living with illusions and hopes. And at some point, the hope was not justified, and the illusion collapsed with pain. A person gives up his hobby and becomes ordinary. So I'll put it this way:


1. Never think of your hobby as your earnings. Creativity comes first, then earnings. You will be surprised when you find out (maybe many years later) that what you love so much (to make music) has begun to bring you money. What would you have noticed and loved is the audience, you must first make a qualitative and unusual music. But don't think about how much you will earn. This is confusing to many.


2. Practice music as much as you need. Do not force yourself, but do not infringe on your desires.


3. Invite people to listen to your music. Ask for reviews. Ask for honest reviews. Respond to criticism correctly. Try to make the music better than it is. Feedback is very important for a musician. Positive or negative. The main thing here is to perceive it correctly. Feedback should be constructive.


4. If you are a genius or talent, then you will be told about it. If they talk about it - never quit what you started. You can be self-critical and humble and deny your own music. Therefore, for this we need strangers of all races and preferences, so that they would tell you the whole truth.


5. Perseverance and work, set goals. This is all you need for any profession or any activity.



  1. You’re a bit of a work horse when it comes to musical production. What’s next on the agenda?



Yes, in recent years I began to devote more time to music, and less time to unnecessary things. And this process of getting involved in music is still going on.

Next we will continue the long series of Cosmos Episodes. As planned, these are 24 parts. So far, only 11 are ready. Let's not guess. This is an ambitious project. I would like to make 24 hours of music so that someone can listen to it non-stop. Although not sure if anyone needs it. But this is primarily for me as a challenge, and as a kind of game.

Another project in cooperation with IMBIT (Institute of Medical and Boilogical Information Technologies). I make music for them which they find perfect for their task. This is used for hypnosis, psychocorrection, etc.

I also discover new genres for myself, and if I like them, I start making them. I love music, I like many genres and I want to create them. Therefore, I will still surprise you.



Links

http://eguanamusic.wix.com/eguana

https://www.facebook.com/eguanamusic

https://www.cosmicleaf.com/en/products.php?action=artist&id=89

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2nYWhMzt3fDNNW0cwPIw7V


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a great interview - a fascinating look into the persona of an amazing artist whose music I've come to love over the past 5 years. Eguana is a prolific producer proving that quantity and quality of brilliant new music can be achieved simultaneously. Thanks so much for sharing this intriguing insight into the man behind the music!