Friday 27 March 2020

El Buho 'Ramas' Review








Artist: El Buho



Title: Ramas



Label: Wonderwheel



Released: 27th of March








Over the years the Wonderwheel label has been a go to label for a variety of world music fusions where the sounds of Latin and South America, Africa and the Middle East meet hip-hop, funk, soul, reggae, house and more. This latest release from El Buho is a prime example as it features collaborations with 19 artists from 12 different countries adding their touches to his Andean and Cumbian compositions. 


In addition to this El Buho rather than throwing out the usual fan re-mix competition, asked for choreographers and dance groups in his community to submit videos for the music and has incorporated 18 fan created videos with original choreographed dances for visual representation of the album. One of which is shown in the video for ‘Nevar’ below.




Moving on to the music as I scanned the track list I noticed familiar names such as label boss Nickodemus, Thornato and a few others. However, their were many I wasn’t familiar with so in this review I will focus on the highlights of the album after the initial opening track ‘Amanueces del Espirtu’. This piece a collaboration with Dominique Hunziker placed my ears exactly where I anticipated, the sound of the Andes brought to life with lovely guitar strings and soothing vocals we are off to a good start.


Moving forward I discovered the album is quite laid back and listenable such as ‘Rumba Viento’ a collaboration with Captain Planet featuring the vocals of Kata. Where as the first to really grab my attention was ‘Sky City’ the collaboration with Thornato. Once again I could picture the Andes in my minds eye, most probably helped by those pan pipes. However, although this time it’s an instrumental piece there is a little more emphasis with the kick drum. Whilst I can imagine ‘A Minha Fraga (Re-mix)’ with Biauca could be somewhat of a marmite test with the powerful male vocal and female choir like accompaniment the music arrangement really appealed to me.


To summarise I found I could easily listen to this album throughout without skipping tracks. However, I would have liked a little more variation on pace i.e. a few danceable numbers wouldn’t have gone amiss. Nor would a collaboration with Lagartijendo one of my favourites in this genre from the Wonderwheel catalogue.


Reviewed by Woodzee


Links





No comments: